Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What power do I use as a teacher?

This morning I was speaking to my sister and she told me about an incident in a school at Geelong. An Indian boy, now aged 6 years, had been enrolled in a school at Geelong last year. The boy’s completed his kindergarten at an International school in Bangalore, India. His communication skills, numeracy understanding and literary skills are commendable for a child of his age. However, his parents have seen a marked decline in his social skills a year after joining this school. Though he was commended for his ability to take on leadership roles at his former school, they have been made aware of his unwillingness to interact with his peers or with his teachers. It was only after several sessions with the parents and a teacher from his current grade that they got to know about an incident that had happened last year in the school. The boy not knowing the exact words for excusing himself had wet his pants while in class. Not only did the teacher pull him up before the entire class for this but also asked him “Is this what you do in your culture in your country?”

I am placing my indignation aside and wondering what would I have done if I had been the teacher? How would I have handled the situation? Which power that I have would I have used? This is a situation that requires tact and skill at drawing attention away from the boy’s embarrassment. Do I have the knowledge and the expertise required to do this?

I am aware that the most relevant of all the powers to be used here would be referent power. However, how would one use the right words and actions to make this boy feel less awkward or guilty? How would one draw the other students’ attention away from a situation like this? And how much time did his former grade teacher have to build rapport and understanding with the boy?

I really would like input on this since I am desperately trying to help this boy get back his confidence and love of learning that he had before. I am trying to do what Jaime Escalante would have done, i.e. help a student believe in himself once again though the odds seem stacked against him.